POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Sep 2009 16:26:25
Message: <4ab68ff1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What's the package manager going to do? Scan the entire system for
> executables which might be using that library? Sure, it could do that,
> if you want to wait.

Even that wouldn't necessarily work. Note I didn't say there was an easy fix
for the problem. I was mocking the attitude that since there isn't an *easy*
fix, then it *should* break.  I.e., that the attitude is "this should be
broken" rather than "this is regrettably broken."

But sure, if you uninstall stuff and it leaves libraries around, I can
imagine a button you could push that says "Scan all the executables right
now and tell me what libraries are installed that no executable references."
Along with "tell me the last time someone loaded this library."  Then you
could clean things up that stopped being used when you deleted some package
six months ago.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)