POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Sep 2009 14:42:05
Message: <4ab6777d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> if you compile and install from source, it's not going to bump the use
>> count on your libraries.
>
> Excellent fun. Compile something from source, and the package manager
> doesn't know you have it, and tries to install it again.

Or you get to make up a package file by hand.

The worst I ever dealth with was a package that needed a very specific
version of Boost, and since Linux doesn't do the whole "side by side" thing
very well,

> Weirdly, most software you compile from scratch has an uncanny ability
> to figure out what libraries are installed, no matter whether you're
> using RPM or DEB or EMERGE or...

It's not that uncanny. It tries to compile the code, and if the compiler
returns error messages, it knows why.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)