POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Sep 2009 13:54:57
Message: <4ab66c71@news.povray.org>
>> I had that.
>>
>> Then I discovered that it can't delete the IE web cache. (Due to some
>> kind of weirdness with it being system and hidden or something like
>> that.)
>
> Well, you do have to turn that off. "attrib -h -s junkdir /s"

Yeah, I think I tried that too. Basically there was something or other
"magical" about that folder. Windows Explorer could delete it, but from
the DOS box is was unclear whether it existed, couldn't quite be
deleted, etc. I don't know if it was the attributes or the desktop.ini
file or just a magic path hard-coded into the system or what... Tcl
killed it without difficulty though. Haskell too. (All the more amusing,
since Haskell is running under a Unix emulator...)

>> Even built a little Tk GUI for it, so you can see how much longer it's
>> going to take. (Deleting 0.8GB of web cache takes a while...)
>
> You can do this with "disk cleanup" tho.

Not programatically. And not on a roaming profiles folder on the server.

> Damn, you need a new job.

Really?! o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/