POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Sep 2009 13:25:14
Message: <4ab6657a@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> nemesis schrieb:
>> Non-package-managed software installed by hand is of no concern to the
>> package manager.  It will uninstall swiftly.
>>
>> I'm used to compile up-to-date libs required by some hand-compiled
>> up-to-date software and install it to my ~/lib.  It's only annoying to
>> do the usual "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib foo" everytime, but, hey!, that's
>> why bash history is for. :)
>
> I have no idea what you're talking about here, nor do I know whether you
> understood my point.
>
> What I mean is this: Suppose I install a package-managed piece of
> software (let's name it "FooPNG" for now) that needs the libpng package.
> Of couse the package manager will recognize, and ask me whether I want
> to install the package as well. (Sure I do, yes please, go ahead.)
>
> Now I compile this strange piece of software called POV-Ray, which
> obviously isn't package managed. But it needs the libpng nonetheless. No
> problem here, as the libpng is already there, so it compiles (and
> installs) fine.
>
> Now I decide to uninstall FooPNG.
>
> Will the package manager uninstall libpng as well, figuring that only
> FooPNG should rely on it? Will it leave libpng alone, figuring it
> /might/ be used by /some/ other app? Or will it actually have any way of
> /knowing/ that POV-Ray relies on it?
>
> (I really don't care whether the package manager will uninstall
> /swiftly/ or /slowly/, I care /what/ it uninstalls :-))

I understood your point.  Hand-compiled and installed povray or any
other is of no concern to the package manager.  Thus, it'll uninstall
libpng without caring if hand-compiled povray uses it or not.  It
doesn't even know hand-compiled povray exists.  Nor should it.

In any case, povray 3.6 is featured as part of the Ubuntu multiverse
repositories... :)