POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Sep 2009 13:13:53
Message: <4ab662d1$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Now I have a bat file that deletes all the crap I can find I run
>> before backups.
>
> I had that.
>
> Then I discovered that it can't delete the IE web cache. (Due to some
> kind of weirdness with it being system and hidden or something like
> that.)

Well, you do have to turn that off. "attrib -h -s junkdir /s"

> So I switched to a Tcl script.

That was the first one. Now I'm more lazy. :-)

> Even built a little Tk GUI for it,
> so you can see how much longer it's going to take. (Deleting 0.8GB of
> web cache takes a while...)

You can do this with "disk cleanup" tho.

> And then HQ IT decided that roaming profiles were too efficient, and
> disabled them. Now every...single...time...I set up a new PC, I have a
> stream of people asking me to come over and configure their email
> settings. And people whining that they have to adjust their Word
> settings manually for every PC they use. *sigh*

Sounds like you need to point out to your boss that machine inefficiencies
are designed to reduce human inefficiencies.  Here's an example where you
have people on your side - everyone actually working there hates the change,
so you can tell them "I won't be able to get to fixing the problem for three
hours. In the meantime, tell your boss you need roaming profiles."

Damn, you need a new job.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)