POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When words and phrases change their meaning : Re: When words and phrases change their meaning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When words and phrases change their meaning
From: clipka
Date: 20 Sep 2009 13:10:52
Message: <4ab6621c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> Warp wrote:
>>   One thing I hate about English is its inconsistent pronounciation.
>
> I regret pointing out to her that "fruit" is one syllable like "froot"
> and not two like "fru••••ït" would be. It was so cute. :-)

This reminds me of a famous TV show that's traditionally repeated over
and over again every new year's eve in German television - an old
black-and-white recording of a sketch played by Freddie Frinton and May
Warden somewhen somewhere, called "Dinner for One". Virtually every
German knows the dialogues by heart. One of Frintons lines, playing a
butler, is "Would you like some fruit"? - where he pronounces the
"fruit" exactly like that.

So no, she's not the only one - even respectable English butlers apear
to be mispronouncing it at times... or maybe that's the /right/ way to
pronounce it?

Anyway - Skol!
(*claps heels*)