POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Sep 2009 10:01:28
Message: <4ab635b8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Now I have a bat file that deletes all the crap I can find I run before
> backups.

I had that.

Then I discovered that it can't delete the IE web cache. (Due to some
kind of weirdness with it being system and hidden or something like
that.) So I switched to a Tcl script. Even built a little Tk GUI for it,
so you can see how much longer it's going to take. (Deleting 0.8GB of
web cache takes a while...)

And then I switched it to Haskell, so I could more precisely control the
file deletion algorithm. And I added logging. And I ran it as a service,
scripted to run on the profile server every 300 seconds...

And then HQ IT decided that roaming profiles were too efficient, and
disabled them. Now every...single...time...I set up a new PC, I have a
stream of people asking me to come over and configure their email
settings. And people whining that they have to adjust their Word
settings manually for every PC they use. *sigh*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/