POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: clipka
Date: 20 Sep 2009 08:40:32
Message: <4ab622c0$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> in addition. I don't think Linux package managers will automatically
>> un-install those if you uninstall that image processing package (it
>> would be ill-advised, as I might have installed other,
>> non-package-managed software that also relies on that library).
>
> Non-package-managed software installed by hand is of no concern to the
> package manager.  It will uninstall swiftly.
>
> I'm used to compile up-to-date libs required by some hand-compiled
> up-to-date software and install it to my ~/lib.  It's only annoying to
> do the usual "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib foo" everytime, but, hey!, that's
> why bash history is for. :)

I have no idea what you're talking about here, nor do I know whether you
understood my point.

What I mean is this: Suppose I install a package-managed piece of
software (let's name it "FooPNG" for now) that needs the libpng package.
Of couse the package manager will recognize, and ask me whether I want
to install the package as well. (Sure I do, yes please, go ahead.)

Now I compile this strange piece of software called POV-Ray, which
obviously isn't package managed. But it needs the libpng nonetheless. No
problem here, as the libpng is already there, so it compiles (and
installs) fine.

Now I decide to uninstall FooPNG.

Will the package manager uninstall libpng as well, figuring that only
FooPNG should rely on it? Will it leave libpng alone, figuring it
/might/ be used by /some/ other app? Or will it actually have any way of
/knowing/ that POV-Ray relies on it?

(I really don't care whether the package manager will uninstall
/swiftly/ or /slowly/, I care /what/ it uninstalls :-))