POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Sep 2009 14:37:28
Message: <4ab524e8$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I'm told you can change some registry key (manually of course) to make
> this folder live somewhere else.

You don't have to change things manually. You right-click on the folder,
select "properties", select "location", and give it a new location.
Everything respects that nowadays, unless you're installing programs from
the Win98 era perhaps.

> But I'm not sure how many programs
> would actually take notice; ever tried installing Windows in, say,
> D:\WINDOWS, and seeing programs stuff files into C:\WINDOWS anyway?

The "windows" directories are harder than the "doc&set" directories, yes.

> Yeah. The updater for Adobe Acrobat Reader likes to stuff the installer
> files in a temp folder inside Documents and Settings. For no defined
> reason.

Because that's where it has permission to write temp files. Putting it in
the local tempfile direcotry would have been better, yes.

> I'm still wondering why no OS has yet come up with the idea of
> seperating "documents" from "settings", but hey...

They did. They called it "the registry". Everyone bitched about it being
separate from the file system. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)