POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When words and phrases change their meaning : Re: When words and phrases change their meaning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When words and phrases change their meaning
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Sep 2009 14:08:59
Message: <4ab51e3b$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>>
>> My wife grew up in China, so she's always stumbling across funky
>> things English does wrong. I love this stuff. :-)
>
> How about "oversee" and "overlook", for instance?

That was one of the best, up there with "undust the furniture."

She asked me to check an email she was sending out. It said "John should
overlook the project."  I said to change it to oversee, because overlook
means to not look at. She said "But I want him to look over it."  I said
"Yes, if you look over something, you don't overlook it, you oversee it."
She said "fuckin' English."  :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)