POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why are some games so damn hard to find? : Re: Why are some games so damn hard to find? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why are some games so damn hard to find?
From: clipka
Date: 19 Sep 2009 13:13:28
Message: <4ab51138$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Not only is it excruciatingly annoying, it's also inexplicable. I would
> understand this if they were some obscure unknown games who nobody cares
> about, but these are known games praised and critically acclaimed. Yet
> nobody seems to be selling them.

Publishers.

Like movies, games are often not sold by the company who produced them
in the first place, but by companies specializing in marketing the
stuff. Those are also often specializing in a particular regional market.

So a publisher may decide to buy the (exclusive) publishing rights only
for a particular region he knows he can sell the product on. Or a game
developer may decide to sell him the publishing rights only for a
particular region, hoping to cut a better deal with some other publisher
for another region, or intending to have a localized version published
in that region instead.