POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 19 Sep 2009 10:53:54
Message: <4ab4f082$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/19/09 07:51, clipka wrote:
> It's not like Linux wouldn't been growing over time, too, if you install
> new software occasionally. For instance, when installing an image

	Barely. Probably depends on your distribution, but on mine (Gentoo) it
is easy to control.

> processing software package, it may pull in some image library packages
> in addition. I don't think Linux package managers will automatically
> un-install those if you uninstall that image processing package (it
> would be ill-advised, as I might have installed other,
> non-package-managed software that also relies on that library).

	Gentoo usually does, unless it is well known that a package will
definitely _need_ the old library. Usually, you have to run an
additional command where it will find all packages that depended on the
old library, and recompile them against the new library (Gentoo is
source based).

	The only real part where Gentoo can "grow" if you're careless is when
you install a package that requires a lot of dependencies. It will
install the dependencies and that package. When you remove that package,
the dependencies are still there. So once or twice a year, I have to
give a special command to figure out all those dependency packages that
are no longer needed, and uninstall them.

	Don't know how other distros handle that.

--
No, Taco Bell is NOT the Mexican Phone Company!