POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: clipka
Date: 19 Sep 2009 08:51:33
Message: <4ab4d3d5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   One significant (and annoying) difference I have noticed between Windows
> and Linux is that Windows seems to grow over time. It's not *completely*
> Windows' own fault, but for the most part it is.

It's not like Linux wouldn't been growing over time, too, if you install
new software occasionally. For instance, when installing an image
processing software package, it may pull in some image library packages
in addition. I don't think Linux package managers will automatically
un-install those if you uninstall that image processing package (it
would be ill-advised, as I might have installed other,
non-package-managed software that also relies on that library).

The only difference is that in Linux this is less opaque, and having
additional libraries installed may therefore not be regarded as "growing
of the system".

The reason is that by convention, Unix software doesn't automatically
install (or even ship with) libraries it needs, while Windows software
comes full with all components required, automatically installing them
if not already present. I guess this is one of the core benefits and
banes of Windows.