POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I can't decide which is most awesome : Re: I can't decide which is most awesome Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I can't decide which is most awesome
From: clipka
Date: 18 Sep 2009 17:48:21
Message: <4ab40025$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   A moon which causes tides, and plate tectonics also help in the process
> of life forming. Even if a planet is otherwise ideal, if it lacks those,
> it will be much less likely for life to form.

This is something that I find particularly intriguing about the place we
live on:

Not the fact that the earth does have a moon. Nor the fact that it is
the only one the earth does have. Not even the remarkable fact that it's
  an incredibly huge chunk of rock for such a small planet.

No, what's most astonishing about this all is that its apparent size
matches so well with that of the sun.

I can only think of two possible conclusions for this:

(a) It may be due to the anthropic principle, i.e. there might be some
hidden mechanism in the creation of intelligent life that requires this
extraordinary property.

(b) It was /designed/ to be this way.