POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I can't decide which is most awesome : Re: I can't decide which is most awesome Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I can't decide which is most awesome
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 18 Sep 2009 13:11:32
Message: <4ab3bf44$1@news.povray.org>

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2009/09/electron_clouds_seeing_is_beli.html

> Uh... why are the orbitals such weird shapes?

Wave functions. The orbital isn't where the electron actually is, just
where it is statistically likely to be. For the math that just goes
right over my head, I found
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital to be readable.

I still am not sure which stuns me more: that those pictures come out
looking close enough to the existing models, suggesting that we got it
right; or that there are just enough things wrong that we may have to
replace the whole model. Either way, the pictures are amazing.