POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Sep 2009 07:47:03
Message: <4ab37337$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> Since some of you asked what I did not like about ADS on NTFS, here it is:
>

> There is no easy way to access ADS in Windows Explorer. The only way to do
> it is use API-calls to access the ADS (to my best knowledge).

In fact, you don't need any special API calls. There is a filename
syntax for accessing alternate streams. For example:

C:\> echo This is a test > Test.txt
C:\> echo This is another test > Test.txt:alt

Congratulations, you just greated a file with an ADS named "alt".

I will admit, however, that most programs don't know about this
"feature" and will complain if you try to use it. (E.g. both the TYPE
command and Notepad complain that no such file exists.)

> And most importantly, if you store data in ADS, it is nowhere reported in
> Windows Explorer.

This appears to be true. Even the "size on disk" field doesn't appear to
change when adding and removing ADS, with is rather anomolous.

Still, most ADS are so tiny it probably doesn't matter too much.