POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage Server Time
8 Oct 2024 21:59:31 EDT (-0400)
  ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage
From: TC
Date: 18 Sep 2009 07:27:27
Message: <4ab36e9f$1@news.povray.org>
Thank you all for your input, friends, though this comes a bit late. Work
got in the way yesterday, so I could not access the newsgroup. I gained some
valuable insights into ext2.

Since some of you asked what I did not like about ADS on NTFS, here it is:

There is no easy way to access ADS in Windows Explorer. The only way to do
it is use API-calls to access the ADS (to my best knowledge).

Again to my best knowledge (which is somewhat lacking in the field of file
systems, admittedly), you have to scan every single directory using
API-calls to determine which ADS-files are stored on your HDD.

And most importantly, if you store data in ADS, it is nowhere reported in
Windows Explorer. I have heard it said that you could run into serious
problems if you HDD seems to be almost full - but in truth >is< completely
full, because of ADS-files which file-sizes are reported nowhere.

So, if you are in the mood, you could fill a seemingly empty HDD by creating
a few really huge ADS-files on  it.

Anybody wanting to write to this HDD should be ready for an interesting
experience...

I hope linux ext2 does not do the same.