POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complex HDRI mapping : Re: Complex HDRI mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex HDRI mapping
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 18 Sep 2009 05:29:13
Message: <4ab352e9$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> The third image is something I rendered a LONG time ago, years ago, the
> lighting, coupled with radiosity and normals on the walls made it take what
> seemed a long time to render (I can't remember which computer I was using at the
> time, but it was not my current model)

If that is the view you intend for the full scene, the normals on the
wall are pretty minor. You could get away with using a second layer of
texture to create that rough pattern without all the added time that the
normals add.

> Image four is the lamp I intend to use in the fountain base.  That alone took
> about a week to render.

Could I get that one in desktop resolution?

You don't mention how you created the glowing structure. If you used
sphere sweeps with a very high sphere count, that could add a good deal
of time to a render. As Alain suggested you could replace it with a sor,
or you might be able to get good performance from an isosurface.

> And Image 5 is a test I did with another scene I'm working on,  The lighting
> levels are not nearly sufficient, even though it's supposed to be dark.

Looking at the image, I am not even sure where the light is coming from.
It looks like the candles and center flames are contributing a lot, from
the highlights on the columns. However, the way the floor seems so
evenly lit doesn't match. Lots of scattering media, perhaps?

If you are using scattering media to darken the room, you might try just
changing the fade_power and fade_distance of the light sources.