POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: scott
Date: 18 Sep 2009 03:45:05
Message: <4ab33a81$1@news.povray.org>
Free choice is a believable illusion until you can predict the future.

>  In the physical world as we know it, at macroscopic levels, every action
> is deterministic: Every event is just a deterministic consequence of some
> earlier events.

One you can predict the future (maybe by working out the result of all the
deterministic events) then things get funkier because your deterministic
events can have inputs from the future (maybe you'll see the lotto numbers
from next week and buy a ticket).  But it's still totally predictable, (if
you look you will also see yourself buying the ticket and winning).  And
then you'll see that everything is totally predictable and you can't change
anything (even if you try really hard not to, you will be forced to go and
buy that ticket exactly as you had already seen).  Then there really is no
free choice.