POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complex HDRI mapping : Re: Complex HDRI mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complex HDRI mapping
From: Alain
Date: 17 Sep 2009 21:55:08
Message: <4ab2e87c$1@news.povray.org>

> They say "A picture says a thousand words": So I give you five pictures...
>
> http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/Art/FountainSquare3.jpg
> http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/FountainCloseup
> http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/Elementaljpg
> http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/lotus01.jpg
> http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/Circle3.jpg
>
> The first image can either be during the day, or at night.  The daylight model
> is obviously the simpler one.  The night-time model requires fifteen small
> flames in the base of the fountain, illuminating the water from below, and
> street lamps around the perimiter, either gas, or oil.
Looks nice.

> I had an idea for the fountain square that involved many little hanging lamps,
> suspended from ropes, or perhaps stone lamp-posts/bollards, I'm still working
> out the surroundings.
As the lamps are visible in the scene itself, you need them. As there
are many of them, you can probably use regular point lights, at least
for most.
Keep those simple.

> The third image is something I rendered a LONG time ago, years ago, the
> lighting, coupled with radiosity and normals on the walls made it take what
> seemed a long time to render (I can't remember which computer I was using at the
> time, but it was not my current model)
>
> Image four is the lamp I intend to use in the fountain base.  That alone took
> about a week to render.
How large will it be in the final scene? How visible will it be?
It's possible that a largely simplified version would be OK.
As it is now, it use media, complexe geometry, transparency, and maybe
photons.
Some simplifications:
The center part could be replaced by a simple lathe or sor object with
two spiral patterns, one scaled <-1,1,1>, white with high ambient and
transparent.
If you still use media, only use emissive inside the core.

> And Image 5 is a test I did with another scene I'm working on,  The lighting
> levels are not nearly sufficient, even though it's supposed to be dark.
In that one, adding a few faint lights could improve things.

> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

The judicious use of spotlight or light_group can possibly improve
performance.

Alain