POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status : Re: POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status
From: Ive
Date: 17 Sep 2009 12:24:27
Message: <4ab262bb$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> - POV-Ray shall always operate in a linear RGB color space based on
> light intensity (as opposed to perceived brightness), to properly
> compute physical effects. (In the long run, this should also include a
> clear definition of the RGB primaries and white point, but at present
> this definition is limited to gamma issues.)
>
> - In General, all image-format input files sall be converted to
> POV-Ray's operating color space before any further processing. (In the
> long run, this should include full color profile handling; however, at
> present it is limited to gamma correction.)

So meanwhile you do agree with me that POV-Ray should have "in the long
run" a well defined RGB color space while I do remember a few months ago
we had some struggle about this issue ;)

> - For file formats with an official specification...
 > [SNIP (a lot)]

Sounds all very good to me.

> * Implementation
 > [SNIP]
> - Non-paletted integer images are kept in "native" format without
> applying gamma adjustment, in order to save memory. Gamma correction is
> instead applied at render time, using a pre-computed lookup table in
> hope of gaining a bit of a speed advantage. (Lookup tables are shared
> between images with the same gamma curve of course.)

I already wanted to ask you about this - as at some point it seemed to
me you intend to store all data in floating point format - but then I
did completely forget about it.
While I think it is a very good idea to use lut's for 8 bps I do believe
it should not be done for 16 bps as they are meant to apply things like
inverse gamma correction without *any* visual impact. But this is not an
important issue.

And BTW I've rewritten tiff.cpp from scratch and the most simple and
basic cases is already working: RGB data that is ordered interleaved
(and not in separate color planes) arranged in strips (and not tiles)
and uses unsigned 8 or 16 bit integers (not signed ones).
The nice thing is that full floating point HDR TIFF support for 16bit
(the same 'half' format as used by OpenEXR), 24bit (yes, such a thing
exists) and 32bit (the 'normal' float) is already working.
And I intend to implement TIFF *output* for 32bit floats as I think it
would be nice to have this feature available especially within an
already well defined image file format.
So sooner or later I need to know more details about your implementation
of the file gamma correction but most probably I will not finish the new
TIFF implementation befor the next beta is out...

-Ive