POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
7 Jul 2024 05:40:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: Warp
Date: 17 Sep 2009 10:01:13
Message: <4ab24128@news.povray.org>
> The SDL is - due to the repeating addition of new features -
> inconsistent in many parts.  Some aspects of this have been mentioned in
> this thread, others have not.  Using the photons syntax is not
> necessarily a better idea than the no_* syntax

  I would like to make it clear that I didn't suggest a block syntax for
radiosity settings because photon settings have that too, or because I thought
that radiosity was similar to photons. In fact, I wasn't thinking about the
photon mapping feature at all when I made the suggestion. It was only later
in the thread that I came up with the comparison with photon mapping.

  The basic idea was to use a block syntax to group different radiosity
settings consistently and clearly. The photon settings are a good example
of this (but, as I said, not the reason why I suggested it in the first
place).

  If there was one single per-object radiosity setting, then "no_radiosity"
would be ok. However, there are already two, and it isn't completely
unthinkable that in the future perhaps more will be added. Thus it would
be a good idea to take that into account now, when it's still possible.

--
                                                          - Warp