POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very cool tiny font : Re: Very cool tiny font Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very cool tiny font
From: clipka
Date: 17 Sep 2009 09:17:30
Message: <4ab236ea$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler schrieb:
> Sub-pixel antialiasing is pretty common in fonts these days, but this is
> the first time I've ever seen a font explicitly designed using sub-pixel
> techniques:
>
> http://typophile.com/node/61920

While this might seem a good idea at first glance, the problem is that
it relies on a certain arrangement of sub-pixels. If the monitor doesn't
use RGBRGB but rather RGBRGB, organizes sub-pixels vertically instead of
horizontally, or uses a 2x2 matrix, the whole benefit of the font goes
down the drain, and may actually be counter-productive.

That's why ClearType, when you first use it on a computer, annoys you
with questions about "which of these looks best?"