POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:48:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: clipka
Date: 16 Sep 2009 17:20:43
Message: <4ab156ab$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Compare the situation to how it would be with photons. What is clearer and
> less confusing, this:
>
>     photons off
>     no_photons
>
> or this:
>
>     photons { collect off }
>     photons { pass_through }

Ut is moot to argue about which would be clearer, because the latter is
how it /is/, and it is /ok/.

>   You are basically advocating the former, for the sole reason that someone
> made the poor choice of using that syntax in megapov.

Argain, you're oversimplifying my actions and motivations:

- I'm obviously /not/ advocating the former, because that's photon stuff
and we're discussing radiosity stuff.

- I'm /not/ simply advocating "no_radiosity" either - I'm instead
advocating to /keep/ it as it is.

- Your statement fails to acknowledge that the I've presented /more/
arguments than just "it's done that way in megapov". You may not /agree/
with them, but they /are/ additional reasons.

I /am/ advocating to /keep/ "no_radiosity" as it /is/ implemented (in
genuine POV-Ray!) right now, for the simple reason of /lack of a better/
solution.

And no, I will /not/ acknowledge "radiosity { collect no|off emit on|off
}" as a good solution: Both terms are purely technical ones, that make
sense in the context of photon mapping alone, and only for someone who
knows how photon mapping works - outside of that domain they're just
plain nonsense (in real life, if I heard something about an object
"collecting" photons, I would probably think of phosphorescence or the
like). And in the context of radiosity they make no sense either - worse
yet, they may lead to wrong assumptions about how radiosity works (there
exist enough such wrong assumptions already), implying that there would
be any similarity with photon mapping.