POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status : Re: POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7 gamma - status
From: clipka
Date: 16 Sep 2009 13:08:41
Message: <4ab11b99$1@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron schrieb:
> More seriously, put it where it is needed: near the file picture!
> That's a setting which is really tuned to the related file.

You didn't pay much of attention, did you? There /is/ an (optional)
per-file setting.

But I can well imagine that there are people out there who prefer to
/consistently/ work with files pre-corrected for some other gamma space
than sRGB for one reason or the other, hence the additional global
setting: To customize the default.

> A global would have no more purpose than a global setting for text (you
> can always justify the usage of a global text font setting... but nobody
> ever came so far with such suggestion)

Maybe that's because the text{} statement /requires/ you to specify a
font, and there's no default that a user could possibly hope to customize.

You could just as well argue that there's not much purpose in a default
{ finish {...} } statement - after all, don't the finish settings belong
to the individual material?