POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: Linux directory usage question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux directory usage question
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Sep 2009 12:19:12
Message: <4ab11000@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> No. It was a first course in filesystems. I imagine the guy picked est2
> because it was easy to look up the reference material.

Well, he still failed. Or you misunderstood what he was saying. :-)

If you want to know how ext2 works, look up how Unix v7's file system worked
about 30 years ago. It's essentially the same, except in *where* it stores
things physically on the disk. The concepts are all the same.

> While we're on the subject... NTFS has an optimisation where "small"
> files are stored in the same block as the directory entry. (Saves
> seeking and wasting half a disk block.) Does est2 have any optimisations
> for small files?

NTFS's "i-nodes" (called MFT records) are some 1K to 4K in size. Ext2's
inodes are closer to 64 bytes or something. There's no slack space to speak
of in an ext2 i-node.

Anyway, the idea of the data being stored in the same place as the
attributes on NTFS is based on the fact that the data, the permissions, and
the locations where other data is stored, is all the same sort of "stuff".
If your list of permissions gets too big, or your file has lots of
fragments, those too might wind up being stored in the "data" area of the disk.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)