POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: Linux directory usage question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux directory usage question
From: clipka
Date: 16 Sep 2009 06:27:22
Message: <4ab0bd8a$1@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:
> Well, I use ext2. If I understand ext2 correctly, you may have 32k
> subdirectories before linux throws the towel. Would it crash? Or be graceful
> about it? I surely will not try it out...
> However, I cannot find anything about the number of files I can store in a
> single directory. I assume that this number is limited by diskspace only.

WIYF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2#File_system_limits):

"If the number of files in a directory exceeds 10000 to 15000 files, the
user will normally be warned that operations can last for a long time
unless directory indexing is enabled. The theoretical limit on the

relevant for practical situations."

You may also want to check out info on the tune2fs utility, which I'd
expect the thing to use if you wanted to enable directory indexing. But
of course you'd need full control over the file system for that, so if
your shop is hosted on a shared server, you may be out of luck.

> It's always a surprise what can or cannot be done with or to a filesystem if
> you take a closer look. I really hate the ADS on Windows NTFS, for
> instance - I find this an abomination. ;-)

I think the main problem with those is that other file systems don't
have them. They're a pretty neat idea to tag files with additional
information.