POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: Linux directory usage question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux directory usage question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Sep 2009 03:44:47
Message: <4ab0976f$2@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
> To all Linux gurus here: can anybody tell me how many files can be stored in
> a Linux directory without performance degradation? Or is there no limit for
> directory entries on Linux file systems?

Now I have a vague recollection of somebody at uni telling us that ext2
works by storing 4096 file entries in an inode. Once you have more files
than that, the inode stores a pointer to another inode. This inode
contains not file pointers, but inode pointers. So at this level of
indirection, you can have up to 4096 * 4096 files. I vaguely recall that
if you exhaust this, it goes to a third level of indirection. But I
can't remember whether it stops there.

Of course, given the source this information came from, it could be
completely bogus. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/