POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: Linux directory usage question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux directory usage question
From: TC
Date: 15 Sep 2009 20:32:12
Message: <4ab0320c@news.povray.org>
Well, I use ext2. If I understand ext2 correctly, you may have 32k
subdirectories before linux throws the towel. Would it crash? Or be graceful
about it? I surely will not try it out...
However, I cannot find anything about the number of files I can store in a
single directory. I assume that this number is limited by diskspace only.

But it is no good to assume. And since I know no linux guru but am pretty
sure here are quite a lot of them to be found, I asked the question. I would
hate to delve through tons of technical documentation.

I did not know about the indexing flag, though, thank you. Maybe I'll find
more on it.

It's always a surprise what can or cannot be done with or to a filesystem if
you take a closer look. I really hate the ADS on Windows NTFS, for
instance - I find this an abomination. ;-)