POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:54:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2009 19:17:47
Message: <4ab0209b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   I see radiosity being more akin to photon mapping than to things like
> no_image and no_reflection.

Um... no.

Radiosity is actually just cached diffuse reflections, nothing else.
It's the forward-raytracing component that places photon mapping
seriously off the grid.

There is no such thing as a "collect on|off" or "emission on|off" in the
specular (inter-)reflection block, so why should there be such a thing
for diffuse interreflection?

>   Just because an unofficial patch has made poor choices in syntax doesn't
> mean those same poor choices must be replicated in the official version.

It isn't a poor choice from my seat, for the reasons already explained,
and in that light I do think that the syntax of a well-established
unfficial patch should be favored over an otherwise equally good but
newly invented syntax.