POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2009 17:41:13
Message: <4ab009f9$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich schrieb:
> Compatibility to MegaPOV should be of *no* concern when porting a patch
> or feature over to official POV-Ray. Consistency and avoiding new
> keywords when reasonable should be the primary conditions for syntax
> decisions.
>
>     Thorsten, POV-Team

Though I generally consider this a reasonable position, in this
particular case there was a reason for the MegaPOV patch to use this
particular syntax and not a different one, touching one of the very
points mentioned: Consistency, in this case with the other
"no_something" keywords.

So using any other syntax as that used in MegaPOV would have meant...:

- breaking consistency among the "no_something" family of keywords

- having to invent a new syntax from scratch

- with not much of a precendence case to orient on

- and with the syntax "radiosity off" already being in use for another
very different feature.

Plus, as already mentioned, sacrificing the opportunity to use a syntax
already familiar to the users of a very famous POV-Ray patch - which of
course would not be sufficient alone, but I think it quite well rounds
off the whole thing.