POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : About no_radiosity and radiosity off : Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About no_radiosity and radiosity off
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2009 06:11:00
Message: <4aaf6834$1@news.povray.org>
Carlo C. schrieb:
>> Unless I perfectly goofed it up, "radiosity off" prevents an object from
>> *receiving* diffuse interreflection (aka radiosity), while
>> "no_radiosity" prevents an object from *emitting* diffuse interreflection.

(I just checked whether it indeed does what I thought it does after
having seen the code - it does do right that :-))

> Maybe, just maybe, it might be useful to combine these three options in a single
> keyword even with alphanumeric values?
>
> Just a small idea, with no pretensions.
> Of course, I'm already so happy. :-)

The syntax for "no_radiosity" was chosen to (a) match the megapov
syntax, and (b) fit into the family of no_shadow, no_reflection and
no_image keywords, which all basically say, "for the sake of
[shadow/reflection/image/radiosity] rays, this object does not exist",
to be consistent there (which was also probably the motivation for the
megapov syntax).

The "radiosity off" syntax already existed at that time, so it was just
left unchanged. It's a bit "dangling" I think.