POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Sep 2009 05:56:13
Message: <4aaf64bd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You are not deluded into thinking that something happened even though it
> didn't. You are deluded into thinking that it happened because you chose
> for it to happen, rather than it happening just as a consequence of previous
> events. If it happened as a consequence, it's not a choice.

Snort. Tell me something I don't know. Its not like I, at least, am not
perfectly aware that studies on how the brain thinks have shown
"awareness" as a post hock attempt to invent justification for an
action, which was already beginning, even before we became consciously
aware of it. Sentience is a deterministic machine, basing its actions on
thousands of independent *processes*, all which take place before
awareness, lying to itself about why it did something. Its a useful lie,
since sometimes the more integrated "conscious" mind can filter multiple
alternate paths, which might have been chosen, and ignored data, and
tell the action, which is already in progress, to halt, on the basis of
higher level reasoning, including recognition that the action in
progress is dangerous, or unwanted. The fiction is necessary, to make
sure that false actions, which can harm the individual, or things it
values, do not cause the harm, which was not directly perceptible on the
*simpler* levels. Duh!

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {