POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 82% crazy : Re: 82% crazy Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 82% crazy
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Sep 2009 05:43:33
Message: <4aaf61c5@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> My personal thought on the matter is
>
> Did you ever study this stuff formally? Or are you guessing?
>
>> conditions, the vibrations introduced by thermal variance, and
>> possibly other sources of energy, introduce a situation where its no
>> longer possible for all particles to be in a single state.
>
> I'm not even sure what that means, but since I can observe the effects
> of quantum mechanical superpositions at the macroscopic scale (without
> even having any sophisticated equipment) I find this an unlikely
> explanation.

This isn't saying that you can't produce special conditions where the
general rule is violated, just that, outside those conditions, it does.
Much like Newton applying in a general sense, relativity in others, and
there being some cases where that doesn't *quite* apply either, given
the correct conditions.

And, no, I can't say that I have studied it extensively, but I am not
guessing either. We know, unless we are seeing things, that every atom
in a room doesn't spontaneously *leap* to one corner. There has to be a
reason for it, and the best reason available is that, under normal
conditions, interactions between particle, weak or otherwise, prevent
it. This is why you have to create conditions where some of those are
"not" happening. The question isn't if, but what is doing it, and why
the macro level states you manage happen at all, when they shouldn't,
based on observation of everything else. Why can you intentionally
violate the rules, when normally nothing, including the intent to do
something, like walking through a wall, which would be a similar
violation, is normally never happening? Enlighten me. What else, other
than freeform interaction, without something specifically designed to
"create" conditions where a violation of the normal rules can happen,
stops it from happening all the time?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {