POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 00:04:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2009 05:17:17
Message: <4aaf5b9d$1@news.povray.org>
MDenham schrieb:
> This makes a good case for actually stripping filter and transmit out of the SDL
> entirely (or at least deprecating them) and throwing in a separate
> "transparency" keyword under pigments.

Indeed - though it might be more correct to re-use the "transmit"
keyword for that purpose.

> ....especially if we _are_ going to have spectral coloring/lighting.  (For the
> time being, I'm leaning towards an implementation that's strictly peak/width
> pairs.  It'd be extended later, but it's at least a start towards a "good"
> system for this.)

For the time being, I guess we'll have to do with RGB for quite a while
still :-)

> Obsidian, at present, is one of the more pain-in-the-neck RL substances to
> model.  I assume this is what he's trying to get at, but I could be wrong.

It appears to me that this would be due to the blackness not being a
surface effect at all, and would need subsurface scattering or (probably
more efficient in this case) media to be modelled properly.

>>> And should we bother for pleochroism ? what about birefringence ?
>> A bit of p[l]eochroism would be neat. Some 6 instead of 3 color channels
>> would be a start. Plus a UV channel of course.
>
> Pleochroism pretty well falls under the requests for an AOI pigment pattern,
> doesn't it? :-D

Yes, that would probably be an alternative in some semi-rare cases.