POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Sep 2009 17:12:05
Message: <4aaeb1a5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't think so. The very definition of "deterministic" is predictability.

That's where we disagree. It's completely possible to be both deterministic
and unpredictable. Indeed, that's exactly what the halting problem is all about.

> The very word itself is saying so. It's the opposite of "non-deterministic",
> which is unpredictability.

Also not quite true. Non-deterministic turing machines are very predictable
in their behavior.

>   A chain of events is deterministic if it happens in a certain way because
> there's no other way it could have happened. If the exact same initial setup
> can be replicated, then the chain of events will happen in the exact same
> way again, completely predictably. That's the very definition of
> deterministic.

Yet, oddly, NDTMs behave that way. ;-)

Yes, that's the basis of deterministic. That doesn't mean you can predict
the *future*. It just means that given sufficiently similar pasts, the same
future will unfold.

>   Just because something is extremely hard to predict doesn't mean it's
> not deterministic and impossible to predict.

Here, have a turing machine. Tell me when it'll halt. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)