POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: Ive
Date: 14 Sep 2009 17:00:45
Message: <4aaeaefd$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> How about TIFF? Not that it would probably matter much, if the support
> is as broken as you say, but still...
>
> Would it be a safe bet to presume sRGB for those as well?

Given the facts that the used RGBA-interface from libtif applies a
simple gamma correction of 2.2 before returning the RGBA 8bit values
when the original image data did use color formats like L*a*b or Luv
(linear ones) and most of the libtif code dates back to times long
before sRGB was even specified I would vote for just an inverse 2.2
correction. Should be at least close for almost 90% of randomly selected
TIFF's.

TIFF has for 'everything' some tags but does not have some simple gamma
tag like PNG. Instead it has tags that would contain complete LUT's for
each color channel. But the RGBA-interface ignores those anyway. And
most contemporary TIFF's rely on embedded ICC profiles and this is also
not supported when using this interface.

-Ive