POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 14 Sep 2009 15:19:13
Message: <4aae9731$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Mike Raiford schrieb:
>> That would be neat to have... But, how to implement? How would you
>> convert from an rgb-specified color to a spectrally specified color?
>
> Oh, I guess that shouldn't be too difficult: Just multiply each color
> component with the spectral output of some standard phosphor for that
> color - et voila. It would boil down to an 3xN matrix multiplication.
>
> Generating the output image should be just as easy: Using an Nx3 matrix
> based on the CIE tristimulus curves would give the color in XYZ color
> space. From there it's just another 3x3 matrix multiplication to csRGB.
> Consequently, there must also exist some Nx3 matrix to take us directly
> to sRGB.)
>
> Of course, to make any /real/ use of this feature, there would neet to
> be an additional color syntax to have more control over a color's spectrum.

You would definitely want a way to define the observer and the pigments.
One thing you would need to be careful of is colors defined simply by
RGB would be susceptible to metameric failure under light sources that
have strong lines in their spectrum (see below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_%28color%29
--
~Mike