POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Insight? : Re: Insight? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Insight?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 14 Sep 2009 15:12:22
Message: <4aae9596@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Aside from wiping the hard drive and reinstalling, is there anything I
>> can do to recover?
>
> Three things to try:
> 1) Plug in a USB and/or PS-2 keyboard. Also, make sure "legacy USB" is
> turned on in the BIOS - that apparently means "recognise USB keyboards
> and map them to something the boot sequence understands without drivers".

Tried that ... Keyboard is recognized until Windows boots...

Someone suggested a PS/2 keyboard. I'll give that a shot, next.

> 2) Boot the install CD and see if the command line will let you turn off
> the service that's blocking you or whatever it is.

Yeah, I need to see if that will work.

> 3) Restore from backups. You *do* have backups, don't you, silly boy? :-)

Not for this machine, no. Just installed software. No real data, but it
would be a minor inconvenience to have to reinstall windows.

> I usually take an image backup before I do anything that might keep me
> from booting the machine. :-)

Yeah, who would have thought some utility for a keyboard/mouse would
kill a machine ;)

What would be nice is if I could go back to a restore point w/o loading
the offending driver.

--
~Mike