POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Sep 2009 15:03:06
Message: <4aae9369@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2009 10:37:19 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> >  Ok, time for some philosophical tought.

> IMO it matters not a jot if we have free will or not. My stance is that we
> should act as if we do have free will. The other way of living is a good excuse
> for bad behaviour, again IMO.

  Why would it be a good excuse? Regardless of whether you have free will or
not, you can still feel pain. If you make bad things, you are very probably
going to suffer some physical or mental pain as a consequence (eg. sent to
jail or whatever). It makes no sense to go to jail just because you think
you have no free will.

--
                                                          - Warp