POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:12:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2009 14:19:43
Message: <4aae893f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford schrieb:
> That would be neat to have... But, how to implement? How would you
> convert from an rgb-specified color to a spectrally specified color?

Oh, I guess that shouldn't be too difficult: Just multiply each color
component with the spectral output of some standard phosphor for that
color - et voila. It would boil down to an 3xN matrix multiplication.

Generating the output image should be just as easy: Using an Nx3 matrix
based on the CIE tristimulus curves would give the color in XYZ color
space. From there it's just another 3x3 matrix multiplication to csRGB.
Consequently, there must also exist some Nx3 matrix to take us directly
to sRGB.)

Of course, to make any /real/ use of this feature, there would neet to
be an additional color syntax to have more control over a color's spectrum.

> fluorescence would be quite fun to have. Impractical, but fun to play with.
>
> At least with spectral colors and lights you could simulate metameric
> failure.

Whatever that may be...