POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2009 13:23:15
Message: <4aae7c03$1@news.povray.org>
Ive schrieb:

> You are aware that you are breaking the poor mans idea of encapsulation
> by directly accessing the fields from png_inf ;)
>
> And it's by no means time critical, so why not just use the API call?

Because POV-Ray currently uses the same construct to check for presence
of a gAMA chunk?

No other reason.

> The sRGB viewing gamma of 1.125 is just another (poor mans) attempt of
> taking the environment illumination of some typical pc user into
> account. There are much more complicated attemps from the ICC and I
> really think we do not need to care about this.

So, in other words, it is indeed just a recommendation for viewing
software? Something like, "guys, this encoding scheme makes sure you can
reconstruct the linear data - we suggest however you don't just
compensate for actual hardware gamma, but also for viewing environment;
if in doubt, we suggest trying to achieve those 1.125". Did I get that
right?