POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 08:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: Ive
Date: 14 Sep 2009 12:19:56
Message: <4aae6d2c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> How about just checking for "png_inf->valid & PNG_INFO_sRGB"? Shouldn't
> that do the same job?

You are aware that you are breaking the poor mans idea of encapsulation
by directly accessing the fields from png_inf ;)

And it's by no means time critical, so why not just use the API call?

> Another thing: The sRGB spec speaks of aiming to achieve an overall
> viewing gamma of 1.125; am I however correct in assuming that decoding
> sRGB-encoded material according to the sRGB decoding function will
> nonetheless reconstruct the /linear/ data?

The sRGB viewing gamma of 1.125 is just another (poor mans) attempt of
taking the environment illumination of some typical pc user into
account. There are much more complicated attemps from the ICC and I
really think we do not need to care about this.

-Ive