POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Insight? : Re: Insight? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Insight?
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Sep 2009 11:45:16
Message: <4aae650c$1@news.povray.org>
>> But only one is marked as "hot-swap". I'm presuming that means one has
>> to be turned off before you pull drives.
>
> Two points:
>
> One, it's probably labeled however the drive manufacturer labeled it.
> It's not like HP makes disk drives.

Really? So what's the deal with the full-page "HP original HDs" listing
then?

> Two, even if you can pull the drive in and out without turning off the
> power, if the electronics don't let you reinitialize the bus, you're
> still screwed. Guess what's true about SATA?

And let us not forget the software of course... But yeah, there's a
whole heap of components that need to support this. I presume that
people who design and build servers know a tad more about this than I do.

>>> People holding the entire database in RAM.
>> Why in the name of God would you do that?
>
> Speed.

Pretty damned expensive though, don't you think? You'd have to be, like,
*really* desperate for speed to go to such lengths.

>> And who has a database that big anyway??
>
> Wall Street. AT&T. British telecom. Heck, twitter's db is probably an
> order of magnitude bigger than that.

I doubt they're going to buy an off-the-shelf HP out of a catelogue.
Presumably they have an entire datacenter full of custom hardware to run
that stuff.

Still doesn't explain what your "average" customer is going to want this
for.

> HP *computers* are generally pretty crappy. HP test equipment is good,
> but the computers themselves are just assembled from whatever cheap
> parts they can buy.

Oh. Really? I haven't had any problems - but then, I haven't used them
much, so...

All our printers are HP, and they seem to work quite well. (Unless some
skinflint decides to put a SOHO printer in a busy office... no surprises
that that doesn't work.)