POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Insight? : Re: Insight? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Insight?
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Sep 2009 11:40:27
Message: <4aae63eb$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But only one is marked as "hot-swap". I'm presuming that
> means one has to be turned off before you pull drives.

Two points:

One, it's probably labeled however the drive manufacturer labeled it. It's
not like HP makes disk drives.

Two, even if you can pull the drive in and out without turning off the
power, if the electronics don't let you reinitialize the bus, you're still
screwed. Guess what's true about SATA?

>> People holding the entire database in RAM.
> Why in the name of God would you do that?

Speed.

> And who has a database that big anyway??

Wall Street. AT&T. British telecom. Heck, twitter's db is probably an order
of magnitude bigger than that.

Hell, AT&T has seven large databases, the biggest of which is something like
330 terabytes.

>>> Also interesting is that the HP stuff tends to give you by far the
>>> most bang for your buck.
>>
>> On the occasions that it works, yes. Until it falls apart.
>
> I don't follow.

HP *computers* are generally pretty crappy. HP test equipment is good, but
the computers themselves are just assembled from whatever cheap parts they
can buy.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)