POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Sep 2009 06:17:15
Message: <4aae182b$1@news.povray.org>
I chose to reply to this post. Theoretically my choice to do so is a
deterministic consequence of everything that has ever happened in my
life, up to and including reading this post.

I don't think choice is an illusion. I chose to type these words. Is
*free* choice an illusion? Well, define "free", define "illusion", and
then I'll get back to you. ;-)

I think people sometimes confuse "deterministic" with "predictable". The
weather is deterministic, and well-understood. And yet, after millennia
of trying, nobody can predict the weather. There are even strong
theoretical reasons for why this should be; in principle a result can
depend on the initial conditions with arbitrary sensitivity (and it
doesn't even need to be an especially complicated system for this to be
the case). Since if nothing else the uncertainty principle limits what
can actually be measured, there can exist events which are physically
impossible to predict, because the necessary measurements can never be
obtained.

I've read some authors prematurely stating that in the next decade or so
we will have computers with more computational power then the human
brain, and then we will be able to simulate brains, and even determine
what a person will do before they do it. This is of course nonesense.
Modern science has only the vaguest clue how the brain works, and you
can't simulate something you don't understand.

Also... I have a sore throat today.