POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Sep 2009 15:21:05
Message: <4aad4621$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The main (highly) philosophical problem with there not being true free
> will nor true free choice is that it basically nullifies the entire
> concepts of sentience, independence and individuality.

If you agree there's a lack of "free will" in the dualistic sense, it of
course destroys the dualistic concepts of sentience, independence, and
individuality.  I.e., if you define "free will" and "sentience" and
"individuality" as supernatural, saying "the supernatural cause of free will
is missing and thus the supernatural cause of sentience is also."

> It's not you, a sentient being, a thinking individual, who is making the choices.

Of course it is. I'm just not doing it through supernatural means.

> Not at the most basic level. It's just a result of deterministic
> cause and effect and completely random unpredictable quantum fluctuations.

Does a rock stop existing simply because its fall is a result of
determinsitic gravity effects?

> You may be deluded into thinking that you are making choices, when in fact
> you aren't.

Am I deluded into thinking that I'm thinking, then?  I think, therefore I
am?  Who is deluded into thinking I'm making choices? Why can't I make
choices deterministically?

When we launch Excel, have we deluded the computer into running a
spreadsheet program? Or is it really, actually running Excel?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)