POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! : Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! Server Time
15 May 2024 03:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost!
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 13 Sep 2009 14:54:25
Message: <4aad3fe1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Now, it is quite stupid to select the "Program" folder of any program to
> store your *own* files, even more so if you are using a beta version.

Still, I'd definitely consider such behavior to be a bug which should
be fixed for the final version. An installer should never assume all
files in the specified installation directory to be under its control.
That's why installers ask if they may overwrite a file in the target
location and why InstallShield logs the install process and only
uninstalls files which were actually installed.

On the other hand, it is still a bit unclear to me what actually
happened. The report is rather vague, with "one day" no longer finding
the scene files and "believing" something happend "somewhen during the
last installation". Also, why would the 3.7 installer move the
directory of an existing installation at all? I'd expect 3.6
to be unaffected and remaining fully operational. Is this
only to clean up installations of older betas?