POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: m a r c
Date: 13 Sep 2009 14:32:52
Message: <4aad3ad4$1@news.povray.org>

4aad2d5d@news.povray.org...
> Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Alternatively, if "free will" is an illusion, then it is a useful one,
>> as it is the basis for many philosophies and, in fact, legal systems.
>
>  The main (highly) philosophical problem with there not being true free
> will nor true free choice is that it basically nullifies the entire
> concepts of sentience, independence and individuality.

The main philosophical problem is philosophy !

And what about intermediate responses?

May be it is a continuum between free choice and determinism.
A continuum between animals and our human sentience.
A continuum between predictible systems and chaotic systems.

Somebody who follows his instinct is closer to the deterministic side
The one who thinks hard  and weights the consequences of his acts is closer
to the free choice side

Marc