POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 82% crazy : Re: 82% crazy Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 82% crazy
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Sep 2009 11:41:37
Message: <4aad12b1$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>> Well, the point remains that "observation" is not the same as
>> "interaction with another particle."
>
> Actually it is - the observing apparatus (be it a human or a measuring
> equipment) being comprised of particles, and the observation being
> performed by having the particle actually interact.

I was stressing the singular there. An observation doesn't happen when the
particle interacts with one other particle.  I.e., it's not "we don't know
what the result will be until the particle interacts with another particle,
and then the wave function collapses." The particle can interact with
arbitrary many other particles before the "wave function collapses."

> I guess it is safe to claim that a flesh-and-blood human being is not an
> outside observer in this sense.

Right.  Or a cat. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)